Dienstag, 12. August 2014

Destination: Virunga Mountain

'The Virunga Mountains are a chain of volcanoes in East Africa, along the northern border of Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda. The mountain range is a branch of the Albertine Rift Mountains, which border the western branch of the East African Rift. They are located between Lake Edward and Lake Kivu. The name "Virunga" is an English version of the Kinyarwanda word ibirunga, which means "volcanoes".

The Virunga Mountains are home of the critically endangered mountain gorilla, listed on the IUCN Red List of Endangered Species due to habitat loss, poaching, disease, and war (Butynski et al. 2003). The Karisoke Research Center, founded by Dian Fossey to observe gorillas in their native habitat, is located between Mount Karisimbi and Mount Bisoke.'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virunga_Mountains)

That is what WIKIPEDIA says in the preface of the article about the real Virunga Mountain.
And in OSGrid you can visit a little part of this real existing area, build in memory of Dian Fossey done in virtual world by Ferd Frederix.

And this "Virunga Mountain" is the most lively region in a virtual world, with animated objects and the immense use of NPC's, I have seen so far.

You'll find animated animals and animal NPC's all over the place. As there is Anaro the not so shy cat, that pushes you around, when arriving on the region.

Or Billy the Goat looking for food while bleating all the time. It's hard to make a photo of Billy, cause it is in a constant move. But somehow I managed.

When coming to "Virunga Mountain" you arrive in a little village. On a market stand you'll find some interesting freebies to go. Have a look by yourself ;-). And Anaro is very clingy. The cat follows you all through the village.

While Ewe the Sheep just likes flowers. It does not take notice of any visitor, it seems. Ewe just seemed to be a guest like me but this is a another story.

After exploring the few houses, my way took me Eastwards. Leaving the village and my clingy friend Anaro, I came to small river and a not very trustworthy wooden bridge gives way to the other shore. Carefully I took that way but without any danger I reached the other side.

By the way, I should have mentioned to set your sound on, to hear all the sounds of the surroundings, including the never ending bleating of the goat.
The other side of the river is a small open jungle island and after a short walk to the East a natural barrage gives way to the mainland again.

I walked on for a while with the coast at my right side and a mountain to my left, when I met the first Gorilla mother with her little child. I did not want to disturb this family affair and changed my way to a different direction. A few DikDik Deers crossed my way when I reached the Headquarter of Dian Fossey and her NPC. Unfortunately she was very busy and had less time to tell about her story
(keep an eye on the public chat line).



I left the place and walked deeper in the forest, when a group of meerkats warned the periphery about my arrival.

On the way through the jungle I saw lots of animated or NPC animals in the jungle or at watering places along the many creeks and rivers.



A pathway led up a mountain which I followed. A few houses were built on the mountain top with a fantastic view over the whole area. In one of the houses I met Roger. But he was quite busy in running around. I don't know what he was doing but before I could take a photo he was gone.




Well, with a bit of patience I got a shot of him, grins.
After this meeting I went back to the valley and explored a lot of other things, which in this case I will keep for myself because I want you to experience all that by yourself. I spent about three yours on this fantastic VarRegion made by Ferd Frederix, one of the scripting and freebie gurus in virtual worlds.


An amazing lively area and a must to be visited. Tipping my hat to Ferd.

Ah yes, I almost forgot. There is a rabbit hole on the region which hides a secret but this is another story.


Destination:
OSGrid Region Virunga Mountain
hg.osgrid.org:80:Virunga Mountain

P.S.: As "Virunga Mountain" is a VarRegion it is only reachable via teleport from a region using the OpenSimulator version 0.8.1; 0.7.x or 0.8.0 will not work. A good place to jump to VarRegions within the OSGrid is to teleport to the region "LBSA Plaza".

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen