Samstag, 26. Juli 2014

Portrait: Endora Twinklens

The first artist who presents her work in the walls of the exhibition hall "Maximegalon" on the region "Beeblebrox" in the METROPOLIS Grid is Endora Twinklens. The Vernissage will take place August 1st, but that will be announced seperately. "The Hyperzette" had the chance to talk to Endora before the opening .

Hyperzette:
Hello Endora.
Looking at your pictorial work, I assume that you are an artist in real life as well. What was the intention to enter the virtual worlds and when did it all begin ?

Endora:
I am a real life photographic artist, which sounds kind of funny, and I’m sure that there is a play on words there that a writer can grab and take off with.
I had no intention aside from exploring when I first entered the virtual world, but I soon saw it as an opportunity to explore 3-D artwork and have been learning Blender, with the help of some incredible people who post tutorials online and answer questions.  I love how people are so willing to share their knowledge.

Hyperzette: 
Your home grid is Nara's Nook now. Did you start your virtual experience in this grid or did you experience other grids first ?
 
Endora:
Nara’s Nook is my first virtual home and I started there about 6 months ago. I didn’t even know SecondLife or OpenSim existed before then, but now I’m exploring the hypergrid and having fun seeing all the sights.


Hyperzette: 
Why did you settle in Nara's Nook ?

Endora:
Nara Malone and I are friends in real life and she invited me to her grid and taught me what was what. She is passionate about both using the virtual world as a new art form, and thought I could really flourish creatively in its environment. And she was right.
Whenever I’m “stuck”, the virtual world jumpstarts me. I am a complete newbie to all of this and "The Nook" is a great environment of supportive and creative artists, where I’ve been encouraged to explore my imagination. I’m amazed by the work that people do in the virtual world, not just at Nara’s Nook, but all over the Hypergrid, there are some incredibly inventive artists here.

Hyperzette:
Can you explain the techniques you are using to develop your pictures ?

Endora:
My photography is digital, and I use Photoshop Elements, which is the affordable version of Photoshop. I plan on checking out GIMP sometime in the near future because I like the idea of OpenSource, and I believe it has more features than the trimmed down version of  Photoshop.
I started out in photography a few years ago documenting Iron Pours at Alabama Art Casting events, and also some local parades and musical events in New Orleans.
I started playing with Photoshop, trying to learn the program, and just started splicing up photos and creating collages, and changing perspectives.
I find it to be an art form that I really enjoy and get excited about…like I finally found my “thing”.


Hyperzette:
Have you exhibit your works in real life ?

Endora:
I exhibited “Its Elemental” at the "1st Annual New Orleans Fringe Festival YardArt Tour".
The idea of selling my art is a rather new endeavor for me and I haven’t quite figured out how to do gallery showings in real life. I do have a website and an etsy shop, but I also think it might be fun to do a few “real life” arts and crafts booths at local festivals someday. Its a difficult idea, because self-promotion has never been one of my gifts.

Hyperzette:
Have you exhibit your works in virtual worlds ?

Endora:
Yes, I have a gallery in Naras Nook’s main grid, “Greyville”, simply called "Twinklens Gallery". And now, you have provided me with this wonderful opportunity at your own grid in August for an art showing. Thank you!


Hyperzette:
One can say, you are mainly a photographer ? Do you have other projects, like virtual scenic photography or virtual fashion photography or others?


Endora:
I started out photographing for Alabama Art Casting, and so documentary photography is definitely part of what I do. Now that I have a lens with better aperture for dark settings, I’m really looking forward to doing that again.
Photography is kind of an educational experiment for me. I’m learning, and its all self-taught, which can take awhile. I’ve done favors for friends by documenting music performances and events, but taking my photographs and using them to create art is really where my passions lie.
I think I mostly like scenic photography because of the amazingly simple but beautiful sights that I’ve encountered. Even a rotting fallen tree can be gorgeous when the perspective is altered.

Hyperzette:
Do you paint as well ?

Endora:
I have never really painted, toyed with it a bit, but I am working on a piece where I use the clone tool as a paintbrush, which is fun but I’m not sure what will come of it. My work really does focus on pixel art.


Hyperzette:
You are just preparing for an exhibition on the METROPOLIS Grid at the exhibition hall on the region "Beeblebrox". On my pre visit I have seen a sculpture of yours. Are you a virtual sculptor as well ?

Endora:
Not in real life, but that was inspired by the metal work I’ve seen done by friends in real life. It was the first thing I ever built in world, a way for me to learn about the tools.


Hyperzette:
I know that you last name is a special word construct (smile). Could you explain that for the readers ?

Endora:
I was trying to come up with a name for my website and wanted something that would reflect what I think about photography, which is the basic idea of capturing a second in time. So, I went through a bunch of synonyms and it went on and on, until I discovered that the word “twinkle” is an old synonym for “blink”(Lens is obvious), and so “Twinklens” was born. I really enjoyed that it had a whimsical sound to it.

Hyperzette:
Do you have any special plans for the future, according your artistic works ?

Endora:
In world, I’m working on creating some marching band instruments in blender, and plan on putting together a lizard marching band.
The lizard is from Fred Beckhusen from http://secondlife.mitsi.com/about.htm, one of his first tutorials on making mesh avatars. He does some amazing work and has created so much on both SL and OpenSim. You should see his safari in Virunga Mountains!
Anyway, the music will be composed and performed by Clifford McPeek and I’m making the mesh instruments and the animations. I’m having a great time with it, even though some of it is tedious. Its amazing just how much I learn when I have a project to experiment with.
Other than that, I have a few pieces I’m working on with the photography artwork which require me to also learn by doing, because what I see in my head, I haven’t quite figured out the technique to accomplish yet, but like I said, I learn best when I have a project.

Hyperzette:
Thank you Endora 

Endora:
Thank you 


Interview Partner: Endora Twinklens 
For the "Hyperzette": zaphod Enoch 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen